Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Another one of my favorite things


Hello, hello!!! If you guys don't already know, I'm a huge INSTAGRAM addict and so, I post many pictures of things that I'm doing, things that I love as well as new stuff I get to incorporate into my gym time...oh, and my shoe addiction! :) Anyway, today, I posted the picture above with the caption "I worked out 14 hours ago and I'm still burning fat...the proof is on the stick!" One of my followers/friends asked what is that and where do I buy it?! So, naturally, I had to do an entry on the topic.

These are Ketone detection sticks. I came across these nifty little things back in 2004 when I was doing my low carb dieting. These are seriously the coolest things ever made. Let me first start off by explaining in short terms what a ketone is. I could write 10 pages on what a ketone is but I'm going to just stick to the basics and keep it weight-loss related. A ketone, in short, is a fat cell that has been burned through exercise and diet. It's the bi-product of your workout efforts-the FAT that you've burned off that hasn't been expelled from your body yet. Ketone's are flushed out of your body in many forms: sweat, feces, saliva and urine. Ketone detection strips, like the ones in the picture, are passed through the urine stream for 5-10 seconds and if there are ketones in your urine, they will react with the reagent strip and turn a shade of pink or purple. Now, I started using these when I was low carb dieting because ketone detection is so much more prominent because your body is burning fat in larger amounts than in cases of low calorie dieting.

How awesome are these things right? The brand I use are called ReliOn and I get them at Walmart. You can find other brands at CVS, RiteAide, Walgreens...basically, most pharmacies carry them. If they are not on the shelf, go directly to the pharmacy and ask for ketone detection strips and they will get them for you. Sometimes I've found they are kept in the pharmacy itself, so don't leave without asking if you don't see it displayed on the shelf.

Any brand will do, I've been using this brand for years so I like them but all brands work the same and they color grid is the same as well. Be mindful that you're not going to get into the purple part of that color grid because ketones are expelled not only in the urine! If you get a weird sweet taste in your mouth guess what....ketones!!

Get them here! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reli-On-Ketone-Test-Strip/13037592

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you are aware of this but ketones can kill you. I have type one diabetes and those strips are to detec the ketones when you blood sugar is very high. If you have a large amount of ketones they can actually kill you if they are not treated right away. I have a friend that like me also has t1 diabetes. She was so close to dying from the ketones. The doctors said that if she didnt go to the doctors that day she would have died. I really don't know why you have this article up here when ketones are so deadly to people. Please read up on things likd this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done my research. What you are talking about is ketoacidosis which can happen in diabetics. Total difference. Make sure you know all your facts before you add negativity to my blog or any other. I am not only a blogger but I am a medical proffessional and my mother and aunt are both diabetic. With my diet, I have managed to control both of them and their sugars have been normal for years. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ketoacisosis is a condition amongs diabetics. KETOSIS, which is what my blog talks about, is the state of a HEALTHY person metabolizing fat..aka losing weight. These two things are TOTALLY different everyone. Please feel free to google the difference. As with almost anything, there are many uses for things in life. You can use a brick for a doorstop although intended for building structures, a chair to hold a door open, etc. these strips also are multifunctional. It clearly says on the package they are used for diabetics AS WELL ASS low carb/low calorie dieters. I am sorry about your condition and your friend and I'm glad you both are doing better, however, please know the difference next time as it is a huge difference. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete