Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 9, 2015

What I Eat on Keto: Breakfast Edition



As a child, our parents told us so many things like, "If you go swimming right after you eat, you will get a tummy ache" and " your face is going to stay like that if you keep making those silly faces"--obviously NOT true, right? Well, one thing they told us that IS the truth is this...."Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!"

I mean, its pretty cut and dry right? During the day, we eat every 4-6 hours to keep energy levels up and metabolism functioning FOR us and not AGAINST us, so its only right that after sleeping 6-8 hours at night, we need to refuel and feed that metabolism first thing in the morning. So, breakfast is a MUST, and I suggest eating it within 1 hour of waking in the morning.

I had someone ask me yesterday a question on my Instagram account that I want to also address within this post because I think its a key factor in my decision to live the Ketogenic Lifestyle that I love so, so much. He asked, "do you count anything like carbs, fats, calories etc on the Keto diet?". The answer to this question, put simply is No, however, that's not 100% true...but it is. Let me explain:

 When it comes to calories and fats-I DO NOT COUNT (for the most part). What I do "count" is carbs. But, its not as crazy as it seems to be. Key number that I keep in mind, rather than "count",  when it comes to carbs is 20. I consume up to 20g of net carbs per day, usually less....by net carbs, I mean carbs that do not substantially affect blood sugar. (Because I don't consume ones that DO- ie simple sugars, complex carbohydrates like bread, pasta etc) I've cut out all carbs that cause a "spike" in blood sugar because that's what keto is about! Keeping the blood sugar levels low and stable with no "up and down" craziness....this is what causes ketone bodies to be used for energy. If you don't know what ketone bodies are, let me explain.....simply put-they are the product of fat being metabolized by the body-converted into ketones and this is what is used for energy instead of carbs which if not used, would be stored as fat! Ketone bodies, when produced in excess, are expelled by the body through the breath, sweat, urine, feces and aren't stored as fat! HOW FREAKING AMAZING IS THE KETOGENIC DIET!!!!!

Keeping in mind that the ketogenic diet is a high fat, MODERATE protein diet, I want you guys to understand that the main focus for energy within this lifestyle is not protein....its FATS! So, do I "count" grams of protein? NOPE. But I keep in mind that it's not the main focus of my meals. Fats.....I don't "count" them either...unless I notice a difference in how I'm feeling or how my body is functioning/dropping body fat etc.

With the Ketogenic Diet, its easy to "forget to eat" enough because eating this way makes you just NOT hungry so I don't count, but I am mindful to make sure I am consuming enough fats with each meal, drinking enough water (at least 1/2 my body weight in ounces), not eating too much protein, and staying within the 20g net carbs/day limit. Got it?

Now, lets get into what I eat for breakfast! It's really simple. Breakfast is usually the following:

2 eggs, maybe 3, cooked however I'm feeling (usually omlette style) with ham or bacon, tomato/mushrooms/garlic, all kinds of cheese...and BUTTER! Lots of salt and pepper, and sometimes I throw some avocado on top...YUMMMM. I also have my coffee with cream and splenda....and I'll either throw in a tablespoon of MCT oil, or coconut oil (or just take it straight...cuz that's how I roll) Just so long as you get in the fats-you're good to go!

It's really that simple.....and delicious!

I will be getting into nutritional supplementation in a video to come, showing you what vitamins I take as well as some other supplements that work very well in conjunction with a high fat diet...so stay tuned!!! XOXOXO

Want to see the video version of this blog post? Come watch me cook breakfast and SUBSCRIBE so you don't miss a video:

Subscribe to my YOUTUBE channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCZGMR8KZxH8mvkSkJk5FBw

And follow me on INSTAGRAM: https://instagram.com/ketoxqueen/



No comments:

Post a Comment